Sunday, January 31, 2016

AA Thought for the Day - January 31, 2016

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

January 31, 2016

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Identify
The unique ability of each AA to identify himself with, and bring recovery to, the newcomer
in no way depends upon his learning, eloquence, or on any special individual skills.
The only thing that matters is that he is an alcoholic who has found a key to sobriety.

- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pp. 150-151

Thought to Ponder . . .
Newcomers are the lifeblood of the program.  But our oldtimers are the arteries.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E L P
= Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience.

A Member Shares:
I'm Bobbie Jo, and I am an alcoholic.  As a newcomer, I used to judge you.  I took your inventory in seconds flat and disregarded everything you said.  Why?  Because I didn't drink like you.  I never got a DUI, never lost a job, nor lost this or that.  I saw all the differences.  Thank God I finally had a sponsor who "suggested" that I learn to relate your story to my story and to hear the similarities among the differences.  You drank ...so did I.  You had a hard time stopping...me too.  And then, Lo and Behold!  I read the Big Book and found out WE have an allergy, the same stuff.  And WE have the same 12 Steps and Traditions and Concepts.  You are not my guides to progress.  The Steps are my guide.  We talked about Step One in my face-to-face meeting today.  How do we do that with our new folk?  I share what I did; how it was like, what happened, and what I'm like now.  The newbie has to listen to what I'm saying and to try to relate my story to theirs.  If they can't with me, pray it be the next lady.  I told a young man with 9 months sober time to keep asking those questions.  He surely helped me today.  It's not the clock on the wall that's my guide; it's how I live my sober life with the principles of The Program.  Thank you.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment