Saturday, February 21, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - February 22, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

February 22, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Fantasy
Above all, we reject fantasizing and accept reality.  The more I drank, the more I fantasized everything. . .
In my mind's eye I played and replayed scenes in which I was plucked magically from the bar where I stood nursing a drink
and was instantly exalted to some position of power and prestige.  I lived in a dream world.
AA led me gently from this fantasizing to embrace reality with open arms.  And I found it beautiful!

- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 559

Thought to Ponder . . .
Few people have the imagination to see reality.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A = Always Awesome.

A Member Shares:
Good morning all, Tony, alcoholic.  Imaginary: lacking factual reality.  Fantasy: a product of the imagination, often extravagant.  I came to the Fellowship on the 14th August 2004, and by the grace of God and this Fellowship, I haven't had a drink since.  The reason I mention the date, is not to impress, in fact for me it’s quite the reverse.  For me, sobriety is like a great lake; it's not how long it is, it's how deep it goes.  I came here only to please my family, and my plan was when things had settled down, to go back out again.  But you had other plans for me.  You told me, when I first came to the Fellowship, this is a bridge to normal living.  I had an imaginary fantasy in which my bridge would be bigger, wider, and stronger, than all the previous bridges built by others.  Every year, on the 14th August, AA members around the world, would give thanks that Tony joined the Fellowship, and dragged you into the new millennium … my ego, run riot.  To my surprise, my imaginary fantasy of my bridge to normal living being like the Sydney Opera House, or Tower Bridge in London, did not turn out as I had planned.  My bridge is like a rope bridge across a giant chasm.  The left hand rope is the Twelve Steps.  The right hand rope is the Twelve Traditions.  So I grip the Steps with one hand, and the Traditions with the other as I walk.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes it gets a bit wobbly.  That's ok, I pause, just for a moment or two, re-adjust and strengthen my grip.  And start again, Step by Step.  One Step at a time, that's all it takes.  Bless you for listening.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment