Tuesday, August 11, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - August 12, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

August 12, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

On Life's Terms
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober;
unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy.

- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417

Thought to Ponder . . .
Life will take on new meaning.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H J F = Happy, Joyous, Free.

A Member Shares:
My name is Hope, alcoholic.  These days, I like to think of myself as "alkie-normal."  I see in myself phases I've passed through in the Steps, and I think they are pretty alkie-normal.  I remember the first phase as Drama: the mistaken idea that my life stuff was way worse than yours.  I had to grow out of that, and talking to other alkies was the key there.  As has been said, things do keep changing and I have these days a better idea.  I should try to bend like a willow so I don't snap like a dry twig.  That is progressively easier, as I practice what we call the Principles.  Today, I value respect and don't 'shut down' when I hear something different than I thought.  That initial resistance has become a clue to me of a new Truth ... to accept, or at least evaluate.  Well, as my hubby used to say, "Get the information."  And the info, to me now, is in my gut and my heart, to take in with open-mindedness.  Alcohol didn't help me on any level at the end.  It was just a 'blotting out,' and not even good at that.  The Steps steadily, and the Fellowship, are what give me the real practical solution, which turns out to be not material, but spiritual.  Thanks dears!

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net
G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment