Wednesday, October 14, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - October 14, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

October 14, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

An Open Mind
All you really need is a truly open mind.  Just resign from the debating society
and quit bothering yourself with such deep questions as whether it was the hen or the egg that came first.
Again I say, all you need is the open mind.

- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 26

Thought to Ponder . . .
Minds are like parachutes -- they won't work unless they're open.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O W
= Honest, Open-minded, Willing.

A Member Shares:
I am Mike, a very grateful alcoholic.  Talking about the AA program and leaving out God or the spiritual part is like talking about the ocean and leaving out the wet part.  For me, having an open mind took a lot of pain.  That's not something to brag about at all, like the child who is caught red-handed and saying yes sir, I did that.  Not much virtue in that.  I am sober today by the grace of the God I've come to know while working and living the Steps.  Now, like many, I spent some wasted time trying to invent God when I should've been letting God reinvent me.  I spent many wasted prayers trying to conform God's will to mine instead of conforming mine to His.  I prayed for those I love; for God to do my will as what I thought they needed, instead of asking God how I can be of love and service to them.  I have come to believe I am to be a servant to God, not God being a servant to Mike.  God isn't a Maytag repairman.  He is a loving Father who knows what's best for this emotionally immature 61 year old who has been sober many 24 hours.  I sure hope I can continue to grow spiritually one day at a time.  Thanks.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:

Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515

** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment