Saturday, October 3, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - October 4, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

October 4, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

A Family Disease
It is important for me to realize that, as an alcoholic, I not only hurt myself, but also those around me.
Making amends to my family, and to the families of alcoholics still suffering, will always be important.
Understanding the havoc I created and trying to repair the destruction, will be a lifelong endeavor.
The example of my sobriety may give others hope, and faith to help themselves.

- Daily Reflections, p. 173

Thought to Ponder . . .
Don't give up before the miracle happens.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A
= Always Alive.

A Member Shares:
Hi, my name is Deb, a grateful recovering alcoholic.  Alcoholism is truly a family disease.  It can destroy families.  I know, because I was on that path with my child.  My son was 5 when I got sober, and I thank God every day for showing me where to get help, and I thank Him that he put truly good, sober people in place to guide me.  My son doesn't remember me drunk, and I am thankful for that.  I was not an abusive mother, but I was an absent one even though I was physically there with him.  I was either drinking, drunk, or nursing a hangover … not the best caretaker and playmate.  But God planted the seed of AA in me; the thought, that is.  And I was able to become the mother I believe that He meant for me to be because I (finally) embraced this program as outlined in the Big Book and worked the Steps as outlined in the Big Book.  My sobriety date is August 1, 2004.  When I was putting the Christmas lights on the tree that year, I was on a ladder, stringing the lights, humming and chatting with my husband and son ... remember - he was 5 - and he said, "Mommy, you usually mad when you put lights on.  Why you not mad?" and I said, "Mommy has a program now."  Even my five-year-old son was able to articulate that he sensed a change in me.  What a miracle!  Please don't leave before the miracle happens for you.  Thanks.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.

Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org

No comments:

Post a Comment