Saturday, April 25, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - April 26, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

April 26, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Serenity
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.  Thy will, not mine, be done."

- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 41

Thought to Ponder . . .
Serenity isn't freedom from the storm; it is peace within the storm.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
K I S S = Keep It Serenely Simple.

A Member Shares:
Hi all, Claudia here, an alcoholic.  A great deal of my time in early recovery was anything but living serenely.  I didn't know it at the time but the emotional baggage of my past was eating me alive from the inside out.  All of the secrets, regrets, fears and false reality that I had been numbing with alcohol were screaming in my mind and soul -- my emotional hangovers.  Without any tools to effectively meet them head-on, serenity was as far from me as the East from the West.  It was the distance between heaven on earth and a living hell.  In the beginning, I went to three meetings a day every single day because I was scared, clueless and totally without hope.  I listened a lot and I confess, I cried a lot.  I was raw and vulnerable, and serenity was a word totally foreign to my world of insanity.  Things didn't begin to turn around for me until I had been away from the drink for a few 24 hours.  I'd been to tons of meetings and was finally ready to not only listen, but to act.  I had been hearing a lot about the Steps of AA, and in short time I was able to embrace and accept the first three Steps.  Once I got serious, I knew I was powerless over alcohol, that my life was unmanageable.  I already knew about God, but I started to believe in Him and then to know Him.  I eventually made the decision to turn my life and my will over to His care.  Though I still had more Step work to do I started to experience seasons of that serenity I had so yearned to know.  The longer I continued to work my program the more serenity became the more powerful emotion in my daily life.  As long as I continue to do the things I need to do to treat my alcoholism, there is no doubt in my mind that living serenely will be my reward, and for that I am eternally grateful and greatly humbled.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515

** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment