Saturday, September 5, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - September 6, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

September 6, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Carrying the Message
For us, if we neglect those who are still sick, there is an unremitting danger to our own lives and sanity.
Under these compulsions of self-preservation, duty, and love
it is not strange that our Society has concluded that it has but one high mission --
to carry the AA message to those who don't know there's a way out.

- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 151

Thought to Ponder . . .
Service is gratitude in action.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E L P
= Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience.

A Member Shares:
I'm John, an alcoholic.  The topic of service is important to me because I need a meeting but I can't have one without you.  I've heard that service is the secret to sobriety, and have observed the truth in that statement.  I have a long history of devastation due to active alcoholism which changed only when I came to AA and saw you folks staying sober 24 hours at a time.  You showed me the program of one alky helping another.  Because of your example, I serve on our New Hampshire hotline as well as BTG and go to treatment centers and prisons to carry the message.  I also have an active sponsor and I sponsor others as well.  I've seen that when the guys I sponsor get active, they change from selfish to selfless.  I see the same thing in the guys they sponsor.  But without your help, I have no place to take someone when they indicate they need help.  I would only ask that everyone try to pitch in on the effort to reach out.  I was at a meeting last Thursday at a treatment center, and there were 3 people who told stories of desperation and sickness.  One of them called me and left a message, but by the time I called back he was already severely impaired.  He had just gone through detox, but started to drink when he got out.  I will keep calling him and will take him to a meeting as soon as I can.  It just shows me how much this disease can destroy our lives as well as those around us, so please reach out to help whenever you can.  Thank you.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for co

No comments:

Post a Comment