Sunday, December 20, 2015

AA Thought for the Day - December 20, 2015

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

December 20, 2015

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Working the Program
Many of us found that the sooner we started work on the Twelve Steps
offered as a program of recovery in the book "Alcoholics Anonymous," the better.
Others of us felt the need to postpone this until we had been sober a little while.
The point is, there is no prescribed "right" way or "wrong" way.
Each of us uses what is best for himself or herself --
without closing the door on other kinds of help we may find valuable at another time.
And each of us tries to respect others' rights to do things differently.

- Living Sober, p. 2

Thought to Ponder . . .
The Program was a dazzling gem being dangled before my eyes.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O P E
= Heart Open; Please Enter.

A Member Shares:
I'm Deb G, an alcoholic.  My experience getting sober and working the Steps with my sponsor may not actually line up with another's experience.  My sponsor led me through the Big Book, and we worked the Steps as the Big Book states.  She sponsored me as she was sponsored, and she was a real, live breathing human being, too.  We laughed, we cried.  There were some lovely flourishes that were not strictly Big Book, like when I took the 3rd Step.  As I did the Third Step with her we were on our knees, facing one another, and holding hands as I voiced the 3rd Step prayer.  Now, the Big Book suggests we take this Step with someone trusted and that it's better to meet God alone than with someone who'll misunderstand.  The Big Book doesn't say anything about on knees or holding hands, but that was a lovely flourish I will treasure until the day I die.  I remember how the light streamed through the windows.  Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is 7+2=9, 5+4=9, 8+1=9, and we all end up at the same place =9!  So it makes me uncomfortable when someone points to my 3rd Step and says "Keep It Simple," "Don't complicate it," which, by the way, has been done.  We are here to share OUR experience.  Thanks.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515



** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment