Wednesday, December 10, 2014

AA Thought for the Day - December 10, 2014

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

December 10, 2014

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Helping Others
When I talk to a newcomer to AA, my past looks me straight in the face.
I see the pain in those hopeful eyes, I extend my hand, and then the miracle happens: I become healed.
My problems vanish as I reach out to this trembling soul.

- As Bill Sees It, p. 274

Thought to Ponder . . .
In AA, we discover that it is impossible to give without receiving, or receive without giving.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E L P = Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience.

A Member Shares:
Hi, I'm David and a drunk.  I haven’t been around a long time.  This year is my 2nd set of Holidays to be sober.  I got sober in March last year, so by the time the holidays rolled around, that allergic reaction was long gone, and my Higher Power had removed the obsession for another, another, and another drink from me.  But I did have concerns about what would take place if certain situations arose and, like the alcoholic I am, I blew these thoughts up so big, they nearly overwhelmed me.  But this past Thanksgiving night I chaired a 12 and 12 meeting along with 2 other members.  That meeting was really all it took to get my mind off of myself and put it to better use by helping someone else out of kindness and love.  I took that experience and began using it on a more day-to-day basis rather than when I needed it.  It still works; if I get in a spot where my mind drives me around instead of my HP, I go to a meeting, talk with my sponsor, or do what I know works: that is to find someone needing someone else, get out of me and into them.  I hope to help, and it helps me too.  Thanks.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net
G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515

** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment