Tuesday, December 2, 2014

AA Thought for the Day - December 3, 2014

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AA-Alive.net)

December 3, 2014

~ Scroll Down for Share ~

Helpfulness
Now you are getting back into the social life of this world.  Don't start to withdraw again just because your friends drink liquor.
Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others,
so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful.

- Alcoholics Anonymous,p. 102

Thought to Ponder . . .
Trust God.  Clean house.  Help others.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O P E = Helping Other People Every day.

A Member Shares:
I'm Erin, an alcoholic.  When I first got here, I had the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I could not see how the pieces of my life could ever get put back together.  I had made a good mess of things.  Today I have hope.  I found holidays to be hard, as most of us do in the beginning.  I live overseas; our holidays are spent together, crammed in our little cafeteria, filled with wine and a pyramid made out of beer.  I am the only one who doesn't drink.  I think the smell is the hardest part for me.  The first year, I thought I would break down and drink.  You guys helped me through it.  You told me to be of service.  I thought what the hell, be of service to a bunch of drunks?  How the hell do I do that?  The next holiday, I spent the meal making sure people had what they needed.  I got up and served food, got drinks, stuff like that.  You taught me that I could be of service in this room, beyond meetings.  I can always say hi to people coming into the room.  Everyone likes to be welcomed.  I learned that I could ask about peoples' day, and really read what they wrote and respond even when I only had a few days sober.  There are tons of ways to look outside of myself and when I do that, when the focus isn't on how hard my life is, or how sad I am, I really find joy.  I hope this made sense.  Thanks for being here.

To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aa-alive.org and it will be forwarded to them.
(All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)


Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
Blessings in sobriety to all,
In love and service,
joanna b
dailythought@aa-alive.org
For further information about AA-Alive, including:
Meeting Schedule
The Daily Thought Discussion Board
Service Opportunities
AA Birthday Signups
Helpful links and much more
Please go to our Website
http://aa-alive.net

G.S.O. Registration Number: 712515


** Trademarks and Disclaimer: **
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, and the Big Book are registered trademarks of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. The AA Daily Thought is neither endorsed by, approved by, associated nor affiliated with, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., or The AA Grapevine, Inc.
Disclaimer: The Daily Thought is meant for domestic distribution only and for countries where it is in public domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment